sábado, julio 23, 2011

Jenny Fletcher, model & triathlete









It's difficult for Jenny Fletcher to remember a day in which she has not been involved in something. From tap, jazz and ballet to riding horses on her family farm in Western Canada, Jenny decided at a young age she wanted to do it all. In school it was track and field, volleyball and basketball; after school it was Tetrathlon, a sport consisting of running, swimming, shooting (air pistol) and cross-country horse jumping.

At the age of 15, Jenny was discovered by international modeling agency Mode Models and quickly began a journey that she is still enjoying today. In fact, her journey began so quickly that before she or her parents could think twice, Jenny was on a plane to Japan by herself! She quickly adapted to the fast-paced lifestyle of modeling and balancing the challenges of being a teenager. Although she had a career that continuously shuttled her around the world, at the same time, she would return home to the simplicity of growing up on a farm where she could just enjoy being a tomboy!

During this time Jenny was also trying to balance her dream of competing at Worlds in modern pentathlon. She started traveling around the world during the summers on the Canadian team, and at the age of 16 she competed in both Junior and Senior Worlds, an experience she described as "unparalleled adventure."

Jenny would have loved to keep competing in modern pentathlon, but the realities of lugging her fencing bag, riding gear and gun across the world on modeling gigs proved to be too much. Her fencing bag was eventually left behind, but Jenny soon picked up her greatest gift of all: her best friend.

At age 21, Jenny married Arlynd Fletcher, whom she describes as her best friend. "I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for him," she said. "And I wouldn't be who I am now if not for his support and belief in me."

Jenny and Arlynd lived in New York for 10 years, and during that time Jenny became a "gym junky," running the New York City Marathon and eventually unearthing her passion for triathlons. Jenny, now in her eigth year of racing, immediately became addicted.

Jenny's on the brink of yet another exciting stage in life, but that's best described in her own words!

I'm at this new place in life. I've had this incredible career in modeling and great results in sports, the latest being triathlons, which I'm in the process of taking to a whole new level.

From the day I started modeling, volleyball legend Gabrielle Reece was always my hero; I saw her as an amazing athlete and model who took her talents and combined them. I've always wanted to one day be in the place where I feel I am now: actually taking the steps to living out my dreams of combining both modeling and sports. I have so much excitement and zeal, and there's so much I still want to achieve!

My dream, like Gabby's, is to reach higher levels in both the modeling world and the sports world. I want to take my God-given gifts and use them to live a purpose-filled, driven life. In my modeling career, I'm always aiming high, and I still feel I have many years left with great opportunity now as I am mixing in the professional athlete into my resume. Of course in the fashion world my biggest dream would still be able to be in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue but maybe now as an athlete. That would be the ultimate! When it comes to sports, I want to take my triathlons to a higher level, now in my second year as a pro I continue to push myself and my limits and know the best is yet to come.

I've had so many people in my life who have always believed in me and encouraged me, but I wasn't ready until just recently; life's lessons had yet to be learned. Although I am still learning, I know that success is found through defeat and failures. Each time I failed or was defeated I got back up, brushed myself off and applied a new lesson. I needed to go through life's trials to bring me to where I am today. Seventeen years from the day the dream began I am now bringing it into fruition.

Anything is possible. It's all about taking the first steps.

Life is a journey. Follow your heart, soul and mind, and STRIVE!

http://www.jennyfletcher.com/

No hay comentarios: