lunes, enero 09, 2012

Barefoot Running Style

Barefoot Running Style



Brief video developed by Dr. Mark Cucuzzella in association with Northward Advance on the science and art of barefoot running and what we are trying to teach- a Barefoot Running Style. For more information see Two Rivers Treads Center for
Natural Running and Walking Site

Run Softly Introduction
Introduction

Ten years ago I had my feet operated on, both large toes fused, and advised to stop running. What we will share with you at Two Rivers Treads is ten years of discovery, research, and practice. We believe that learning better running gait is more important than your shoes (or lack thereof). I have had the privilege of working closely with many of the leaders in the Natural Running movement including Danny Dreyer of ChiRunning, Danny Abshire of Newton Running, and Jay Dicharry and the team at the UVA Center for Endurance Sport. I've had the good fortune to spend a day in my hometown with "Born to Run" author Chris McDougall and listen to his gathered wisdom on running, culture, and learning to run better. This is Chris' final sentence from his section on the shoe debate from his website "But ultimately, the debate isn't about Bare Soles vs. Shoes. It's about learning to run gently. Master that, and you can wear - or not wear - anything you please."

A short exchange during a coffee shop talk with Chris sums up why we have opened this store and believe that good running form and complementary footwear can and must be taught and learned. In minute 2:15 of this video Charles Radi gives his revelation.

Danny Dreyer and I have performed 2 research studies on the ChiRunning method which have been presented at National and International Conferences and won a major research award for its potential impact for military runners (who have required standards for running and also high injury rates). He asked me to write the forward for the updated 2nd edition of "ChiRunning: a Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running". It was an honor to do this for Danny as his work changed my life and more importantly how I teach others. Here is the forward to the Second Edition:

I have been a runner since age 13 and ran competitively in college. My interest in medicine was sparked after experiencing our team physician try some very innovative, though unorthodox, approaches to treating running injuries. He was the first to have people run in the pool, and he built orthotics in his toaster oven. It seemed to him that there must be better ways to treat running injuries, so he blazed his own path. Oft injured Mary Decker Slaney (former Olympian) was one of his patients to have a running rebirth by his methods. Runners now train in water; not just for injury rehab, but for low-impact supplemental training. And now, twenty years after my college racing, I am reviving the passion I felt at that time by witnessing how ChiRunning is giving many, including myself, a running rebirth.

We live in a sports medicine world where running injuries are still treated with rest, ice, stabilizing shoes, stretching, strengthening, and various rehab devices. But, despite all this care, runners are still getting injured at the same high rates; many becoming former runners, not by choice, but out of suggestions from health practitioners selling them symptomatic relief instead of looking directly for the underlying causes of running injuries. often, the only solution offered is to stop running altogether. ChiRunning not only addresses the causes and cures of most running injuries, it teaches us a way to avoid them before they happen by changing how we run. This is the type of preventive medicine we all need to be moving toward.

I’ve been through my fair share of injury/recovery cycles too. In my younger years I had severe pain in both feet, subsequently requiring foot surgery in 2000 for severe arthritis. I could not dorsiflex (bend up) either great toe joints due to the degenerative changes. I thought my running days were over… as this was the orthopedic response to my injury. Perhaps take up another activity? No way. None were as convenient and relaxing as running.

Then, in December 2005 I read an article in the Sunday Washington Post on ChiRunning. The short article was intriguing and led me to buy the book. After the first read and a little practice, I discovered what I had been missing in trying to find a way to run injury-free. Many of the cues were right in line with my other love, cross country skiing. This was a method I could visualize completely.

Here was a succession of results after learning ChiRunning (and the year I turned 40).

2006 Boston Marathon (April) – 53rd overall – 2:31.45

2006 Ottawa Marathon (May) – 8th overall – 2:32.05

2006 Air Force Marathon (September) – 1st overall – 2:31.47

2006 Marine Corps Marathon (October) – 11th overall, 1st Master – 2:32.45

I ran four marathons (all 2:31-2:32) within 6 months, all feeling comfortable and with almost no recovery needed. There definitely was something to this technique, as I could not do this even in my younger years.

The beauty of focusing on form is that we can all continue to improve, sometimes in small steps but often in leaps. None of us has "perfect" running form but I have seen and heard many stories from runners of all levels who practice the ChiRunning technique with astounding results.

I had the privilege of attending the 4-day ChiRunning Instructor Course in October 2008. This immersion course accelerated my learning, and 2008 was one of the most successful fall running seasons in my life. But more importantly, I’ve learned how to better help others.

This method has given me running longevity, made it easier and painless, and has given me the confidence that I can run forever… into the retirement home. The ChiRunning methods are applied physics and biomechanics that any runner can apply to their benefit. "No pain…no gain" is now a thing of the past. “No pain….thank you”. It's the ChiRunning way.

Mark Cucuzzella MD, FAAFP

Associate Professor of Family Medicine West Virginia University

Lt. Col. U.S. Air Force Reserves


http://www.trtreads.org
Filmed and Edited by Jason A. Smith
.-.-..-.-.-.-......-..-..-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

POSE Running in Huaraches


Although a lot of people benefit greatly from running barefoot, a lot of people still end up injured and have nowhere to turn to when they are relying solely on themselves as teachers. That's why it's good to have a system and a standard with which to compare ones running. Also, just because you have good natural form doesn't mean you can't improve on it. Just like any other sport, better form can be learned and put into practice.

Hi... Huaraches are much better than Vibrams - i have both and have never worn the VFFs since making the Huaraches. Consider buying some 3-4mm shock chord to replace the laces it's much more comfortable and makes the sandal less floppy due to it's elasticity.
Scousewil

No hay comentarios: