lunes, enero 20, 2014

Juan vuelve a casa y Dan a 45 km del polo , no sigue la traza...






Union Glacier Base Camp
Union Glacier Camp is the only private seasonally occupied camp in Antarctica. It is located in the Heritage Range, Ellsworth Mountains, on Union Glacier that gives it its name. It is operated by Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions LLC (ALE), a company that provides expedition support and tours to the interior of Antarctica.[1][2][3]
The camp is situated near Union Glacier Blue-Ice Runway SCGC a rare, naturally-occurring, blue ice runway[4] that allows wheeled jet cargo aircraft to land. Russian Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft regularly transport equipment and personnel to the camp.
From Union Glacier Camp transportation to the South Pole, Vinson Massif, Hercules Inlet and other locations is by Twin Otter and Basler BT-67 ski planes.
During the months of November to January, when the weather is the least hostile, jet charter flights are operated from Punta Arenas, Chile to the camp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Glacier_Camp



Juan vuelve a casa
Buenos días,

Juan fue trasladado ayer desde el Polo Sur a Union Glacier, la base antártica desde donde espera el transfer a Punta Arenas (Chile). Os envía un fortísimo abrazo desde allí.

Para aquellos que habéis preguntado quién le toma las fotos a Juan, os explicamos que durante los 46 días de expedición ha sido él a través del disparador automático de la cámara y un trípode. Obviamente para las del Polo ha recibido ayuda del personal del campamento del operador logístico, ALE.

Pronto lo tendremos en casa.

https://www.facebook.com/juanmenendezgranados?fref=ts


Jan 19 -- Fun! Fun! Fun!
South 89 degrees 39.396 West 070 degrees 56.714 11.6 nm Elevation 9,106 ft. 28 miles to go.

Most of the time I have been able to follow the tracks from the ski expeditions and the tracks left behind by the arctic trucks. However the track I was following yesterday was headed too far east. So I had to leave the track and am now traveling without any tracks to follow. I didn't have any tracks to follow at the beginning near Patriot Hills, but I could use the mountains to help navigate. Now there is nothing but snow. Yesterday, I used the wind to navigate, but it was a bit of a crosswind today and was not good for navigating. So I had a lot of fun trying different methods of using my compass and my GPS for navigation. It was a bit like a kid playing in the snow.

Today was a mix of sunshine and whiteout. There is still soft snow so biking is hard and I once again got low mileage. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get to the end. I now have only two meals remaining, so I need to finish soon.

At the beginning of this ride, I dedicated it to the memory of my mother, who died a year ago due to complications from heart disease. I have decided that I would like to begin a program to help fight obesity, diabetes and heart disease. A GoFundMe page has been set up to begin gathering funds to back the program. Eventually, I hope to turn it into a thriving charitable foundation that will build healthy cycling communities. There are more details about the program on the GoFundMe page.

Thanks for following me as I ride my bike to the South Pole. Remember to get out and be active!
Posted by Daniel Burton at 11:46 PM

http://epicsouthpole.blogspot.com.es/

No hay comentarios: